Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Odds

Yesterday found myself asking this question in my head: 'What are the odds?'
Can't remember what it was that I was speculating over, it might have been a spontaneous thought in general.  But it got me thinking about things happening in my life and in other people's lives. Things that happen in their lives but not in mine and vice versa. And how much of those odds do we create ourselves.
Firstly simple things like -What are the odds that I will sleep in and be late for work? I am increasing those odds if I don't sleep enough the night before or if I forget to set my alarm.
Or quite heavy stuff - What are the odds that I will be hit by a car today? That depends on how careful I am when crossing the road or if the driver pays attention to the people who are crossing or the traffic lights. A person from the past who I used to go to music school together got hit by a bus last year and died. She was only 21 years old. People die all the time because of all kinds of accidents but what are the odds that it's going to be someone i know?
Or what are the odds I'm gonna be attacked today? Depends on what time I go somewhere and if I'm alone and what route Im taking.. If I choose to go somewhere at midnight and through somewhere i know people are dangerous then obviously im increasing my odds of getting attacked.
So i guess in a way people themselves create the situations where they either increase or decrease the odds. If it wasn't true then the odds would be 50/50 every time and honestly i would live in fear.. Life is scary enough.
I'm not trying to say that we should stay home to decrease the odds of something happening to us, but there are definite possibilities to make those odds in our favour.
On the positive side - what are the odds that I will hear God's voice? In God's mind those odds are definitely on our side. But do we pray and listen? Do we read what God's saying to us in the Bible? Do we take time for Him? Letting everything else take over our minds won't probably help us with it.
What are the odds of you being happy? How's your attitude? Do you trust God? Where do you find your happiness? Do you love your life? If not, what do you need to change? Do you believe that Jesus died for you so you could live a happy life?

So in conclusion - odds are funny. There's odds for everything. I'd say 8 out of 10 times we can choose the odds for our favour.

Okay. I've run out of words for this topic...
Bye.

No comments: