Monday, April 29, 2013

compliments and false humility

We had a preach at church where different parts of the body was talked about. It was a good preach and it just made a point about how gifts that we have we might think are worthless are holding the whole body of Christ together. But at the end one of the leaders introduced some ministry time and called people in front for three or four different things. I went forward because one of the things he said was about false humility. Because I'm in the band it's hard sometimes to be humble. Or maybe not even that but in my case, making myself smaller than I am. And I'm not saying I should start feeling like I'm so important no one can live without me but there's a huge difference in being humble and looking humble. I don't really want that to happen to me, honestly I don't know if it has but I hope people will tell me if it does.
The other thing I went forward for was receiving compliment or believing all the good things people say to me. Andy tells me sometimes I'm really pretty and my response is: whateverrrr... So yeah, I'm not the best at taking compliments. When Route 61 was on then we did this thing with the mirror that we first looked into our eyes and said everything we thought of ourselves. Mostly negative things if I'm honest... and then while you are looking into your own eyes and making yourself feel crap, other people in your group write on little post-its what they think of you and stick them on the mirror. So basically you will get a compliment shower. I agree that we shouldn't place ourselves on a pedestal but we need to remember what the Bible says about us. We are fearfully WONDERFULLY made. We have our gifts and great qualities and there's no reason we shouldn't acknowledge them and better yet - thank God for them! :)

No comments: