Sunday, January 1, 2012

Letting go of fear!

I feel like my last post was a bit too morbid. It felt like a little confession. In a way it was liberating and it helped me to understand how stupidly I've been living. In my life right now I'm so much stuck in the things I'm doing wrong. I keep reminding myself that there are many things in my life that need improvement and often times I tell myself that it takes a lot of time to get rid of these things and bad habits.
I watched a video of a cermon that talked about obedience and self-control. It really hit me actually. The preacher Joyce Meyer said that our lives as christians are meant to be hard! But the key to be happy in all of it is to be obedient to God. And she asked a question: Do you have something in your life that you are doing wrong again and again? That you know it's wrong, but you keep doing it and finding excuses for it to do it again? I think we all have these habits.
I think that many of us have habits that actually make us feel so bad about it and embarrased that it's even hard to share it with others or ask someone to pray about it. Joyce said that those little things we do keep the door open for the devil.
Lately it feels that fear is one of the "habits" I have. I seem to be afraid of a lot of things. And because of the fear we do things that make our fear grow even more. For example it makes us lie or not do things we need to do (procrastinate - one of my most annoying habits).
I read this article about how to overcome fear. (http://www.joycemeyer.org/articles/ea.aspx?article=overcoming_fear) I'm gonna move to England for a while. I dont know for how long, I dont know what I'm going to do there exactly, I dont know how I'm gonna get a job and since I'm not the type of person to think ahead that much I've got a lot of things not figured out yet. And that has caused my fear to grow. When I talk to people who are important to me about me moving, I feel a bit scared, because I dont have all the answers to my action and just TRUSTING God doesn't always seem to be the comforting answer. And in this article there was one paragraph that seemed to apply to me strongly. -. I believe we can say that when God leads you to step out in an area to do something new, or leads you to make a bigger commitment, you may (or probably will) feel fear. However, if you're sure God told you to do it, put your trust in Him and go forward.- 
The worst part about feeling fear about a new commitment is that the devil tries to tell you that what you are doing is not what God asks you to do it. For example with me - At one point I felt really strongly about moving to England. I was excited and happy and couldnt wait for it to come sooner. Now when it's just 2 weeks until I'm going I cant help but to feel fear. Is it the right thing for me? What if it's not and it will leave me with a nightmare?
Reading this article helped me to realise that the devil is using fear not to go on with something God has told us to do. Even though we might be real close on doing something. Right now, in my life, i think fear is the strongest weapon against me. But we shouldn't let it paralyze us! So I really really have to work on it! Because if I let fear win, I will miss out on so many great things the LORD has planned for me.

So I wish you a happy new year and hope that fear isnt keeping you away from God!

No comments: